Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Scurvy

Hey Rob,

Interesting website. Lots of information about vitamin C, Linus Pauling's research (he won multiple Nobels, one of them in chemistry), the best sources, etc.

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/powder.shtml

Neither of us have been in the best of health. We keep getting sick. I think lots of people are in the same boat. Last week, I contacted a company about their vitamin C products, asking for the source of their ascorbate. They were nice enough to reply, and said that 80 % of the vitamin C we consume is made in China. Deal with it. I later found that it's actually 90 %. China has a near monopoly on vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid, and the factories producing it were temporarily closed right before the Beijing Olympics. Pollution problems. China's only competitor is DSM in Scotland, the manufacturer the Vitamin C Foundation recommends.

Pauling drank ascorbic acid with bicarb. He drank a lot of it, sometimes 18 grams a day, so buffering was important, although he failed to balance his intake with trace minerals, especially copper. (Yes, I'll dig into that one later.) I can easily buy buffered ascorbate, but it's made in China. I know, I'm old, fishbait in social and actuarial terms, but my gums are failing. I can't afford dental repairs or serious problems right now, so which is it going to be, vitamin C therapy or another trip to the dental school?

I want to test out their Euro C. You can blind fold me and I will always pick the most expensive thing, but this one kicks ass:
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3

This contains everything needed to bring a person back from the dead. Aminos, 4 grams of C, B vitamins.

It has everything except the L.

No comments:

Post a Comment